Mar 7, 2010

Texas Sheet Cake Recipe

Thanks to Heather Ives' rave review, I've received several requests for my Texas Sheet Cake recipe. It is actually my Mother-in-Law's recipe - so she gets all the credit! It is delicious and is a family favorite.


Texas Sheet Cake

2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 cubes margarine
1 c. water
4 tbsp. baking cocoa
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda

In bowl, stir together flour and sugar. In saucepan, boil together margarine, water and cocoa; stir in flour/sugar mixture; then add buttermilk, beaten eggs, vanilla and baking soda. Mix well. Batter will be thin - Pour into a greased 11x16x1 inch pan (I use a cookie sheet) and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
* Don't use electric mixer!
* Be sure to prepare icing recipe below while the cake is baking - icing needs to be poured over cake as soon as cake is removed from oven.
* I usually double the icing recipe below - the more chocolate the better!! :)
Icing for Texas Sheet Cake
1 cube margarine
4 tbsp. baking cocoa
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 lb. box powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped nuts
Bring to boil margarine, cocoa and buttermilk. Remove from heat - add sugar, nuts and vanilla. Stir well. Pour over hot cake. Cool and eat! YUMMMMM!!

4 comments:

Kendra said...

Summer! I didn't know you had a blog! I'm so glad I stumbled upon it. I love your format. It's adorable!

Mammy said...

Summer, I am glad you posted this recipe and I want to share some history of it regarding our family - yes, it is like part of the family. We never have a family gathering without it. Since all of our family, all sides, came to Arizona Territory from Texas, this cake is quite appropriately named and has been in the family for a long time. My Grandmother Hale made this cake and called it "Boiled Chocolate Cake." My mother made a million of them, as did many of the pioneer families in Payson who called it Texas Sheet Cake. We began to call it Texas Sheet Cake - as it was the same recipe. Mom was a member of the Tonto Cowbelles and when they had their big supper each year, each of the members made eight Texas sheet cakes to feed all of the people in attendance. Well, you know I made part of these cakes for my Mom. And for every family wedding, anniversary, funeral, birthday, reunion -- whatever the occasion, we made Texas Sheet cakes. All love the chocolate "candy" cake. When you and Shawn married here in Payson, I foolishly asked Shawn what kind of cake you wanted. He said, "Texas Sheet Cake!" I should have known! And that is what Jeanne and I made for you. Texas Sheet Cake is more than a cake- it is a family tradition for at least four generations. Maybe more. I'm so glad you are "carryin' on an family tradition!"
Love, Your mother-in-law, Jayne

Jaime said...

Oh my goodness...We share the same history of our famous Texas Sheet Cake! I too have family that came from Texas...my grandma is a member of the the "yavapai cowbells". As you know, it is still a staple in our family gatherings. It is the same receipe too, thanks for posting this...now I'm feelin' the need to make me one!!

Cicily said...

Dude, this is totally rude. I want to eat that whole sheet cake right now!

Post a Comment